Stress is the common by-product of modern day life. The world has become a global village and so people are adopting flexible work times to suit business needs, resulting in prolonged shifts and unattractive working hours. Pressure to perform and meet expectations pushes us to our limits. Work environment and relationship with colleagues also affects our experience at work.
These add to our stress level in addition to our personal life demands. But there are several ways to minimize and manage stress in our everyday life-
1. Sleep is vital. Sleep for at least 8 hours a day. Give your body the rest it needs to repair the wear and tear throughout the day. Sleep needs to be continuous not fragmented.
2. Eat well and rotate your menu for new items everyday. You should provide your body with all the nutrients it needs. You should eat on time and never starve yourself to complete pending tasks. If you need it you can take vitamin supplements which provide your immune system and body with the boost and energy it needs. Vitamin supplements are safe to use under Medical supervision.
3. Practice deep breathing exercises regularly. It increases the flow of natural tranquilizing hormones in our body and promotes a general feeling of wellness.
4. Learn to say "No”. Even if you are asked by your higher management to do things which may stress you, like extending shifts or coming to work on your days off. Learn to say ‘Sorry’ and ‘No’. Provide your body with the rest it needs, so that it can perform at its optimum in the long run.
5. Don’t take work home. Your blackberry should not buzz for work emails or calls when at home. If needed turn it off.
6. Spend quality times with family and friends. They expect you to talk and laugh with them, and not get buried in your laptop.
7. Laugh where ever you can at work. Take pleasure in every little thing you do. Enjoy and share those forwarded mails and breaks with your colleagues.
8. Use your earned vacations or take a trip. You need a break at least once a year and you deserve it. Do not let monotony hamper your work-life experience.
9. Delegate work. You cannot do everything yourself. Use your trusted subordinates to manage some of your work. It will make them happy and feel important as well relieve you.
10. Stay Positive. We can never eliminate stress from our life. This is the natural reaction of body to any kind of work. But, we can certainly cope and stay positive if we are serious about dealing with the problem. Stress is a part of life, but the person who can manage it the best will be the winner.